GSL School Board Proceedings
Glencoe-Silver Lake School Board
School Board Proceedings
Glencoe-Silver Lake, Minnesota
February 13, 2017
The School Board of Independent School District #2859 met in regular session at 7:01 p.m. in the Lincoln Meeting Room. Present: Kuester, Lindeman, Alsleben, Christianson, and Twiss. VonBerge arrived after the meeting began. Also present: Superintendent Sonju; Business Manager Sander; Principals Butler and Sparby; Activities Director Schwirtz; Rich Glennie; Andrea Janke and many other soccer parents and students in soccer; Technology Staff Morris; and Administrative Assistant Peterson.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
1. Announcements: The next regular School Board meeting will be on March 8 at 7:00 p.m. in the Lincoln Meeting Room.
2. Public Input: Andrea Janke regarding the boys’ soccer program.
3. VonBerge arrived at 7:10 p.m.
4. Christianson administered the Oath of Office to VonBerge.
5. Acknowledgements: School Board members during School Board Recognition Week.
6. Reports/presentations: Business Manager Sander; Principals Butler and Sparby; Superintendent Sonju, and a Committee Report.
7. Alsleben/Kuester to approve the agenda (6-0).
8. Kuester/Twiss to approve the consent agenda: January bills; January 9, 2017 regular meeting minutes: Hirings: Curtis Strand as Long-term Substitute Science Teacher at GSL High School for Emily Koehler’s Maternity Leave; Brenda Danielson as Long-term Substitute Music Teacher at Lincoln and Helen Baker for Kyara Koepsell’s Maternity Leave; Nicole Degner as 1.0 FTE EBD Special Ed Teacher at Lakeside; Michelle Marti as 27-hour-a-week ECFE Secretary in the ECLC; Samantha Iverson as 20-hour-a-week Paraprofessional in ECSE at the ECLC to assist the Speech Language Pathologist; Paige Lemke as 1.0 FTE Ag Teacher and FFA Advisor at GSL High School beginning in 2017-2018; Roxanne Henderson as Long-term 7-hour-a-day Substitute Paraprofessional in the Media Center and ICU at Lakeside for Annette Thomas’ Maternity Leave; Leaves: Jonathan Koehler, 6.75-hour-a-day Paraprofessional in Special Ed at GSL High School, for Paternity Leave for eight weeks after his wife returns from Maternity Leave; Josh Otto-Fisher, 5th Grade Teacher at Lakeside, for an additional week of Paternity Leave with a return date of February 21, 2017; Resignation: Becky Haddad as Ag Teacher and FFA Advisor at GSL High School at the end of the school year.(6-0).
9. The soccer families left at 8:10 p.m.
10. Lindeman/Kuester to change the elementary conference dates during the 2017-2018 school year from March 20 and 22 to March 6 and 8 (6-0).
11. Alsleben/VonBerge to adopt the 2018-2019 school calendar (6-0).
12. VonBerge/Twiss to approve the “Bring Your Own Device” plan, which gives freshman the opportunity to bring their own laptop beginning with the 2017-2018 school year (6-0).
13. Twiss/Lindeman to approve hiring a 20-hour-a-week Paraprofessional to assist our licensed Speech Pathologist in Early Childhood Special Ed, and to approve the job description for this position (6-0).
14. Twiss/Kuester to approve hiring a 1.0 FTE Early Childhood Special Ed Teacher to work half days at Head Start and half days in the ECLC (6-0).
15. Alsleben/Kuester to bring back these policies for adoption at the next School Board meeting:101 Legal Status of the School District; 101.1 Name of the School District; 102 Equal Educational Opportunity; 103 Complaints – Students, Employees, Parents, Other Persons; 201 Legal Status of the School Board; 202 School Board Officers; 203 Operation of the School Board – Governing Rules; 203.1 School Board Procedures; Rules of Order; 203.2 Order of the Regular School Board Meeting; 203.5 School Board Meeting Agenda; 203.6 Consent Agendas; 204 School Board Meeting Minutes; 207 Public Hearings; 209 Code of Ethics; 210 Conflict of Interest – School Board Members; and 615 Testing, Accommodations, Modifications, and Exemptions for IEPS, Section 504 Plans, and LEP Students (6-0).
16. VonBerge/Twiss to accept donations from: Walmart; Yusef and Becky Haddad; Panther Booster Club; and Silver Lake Civic Association (6-0).
17. Alsleben/Kuester to adjourn at 8:42 p.m. (6-0).
Complete minutes and all documents relating to this meeting are on file and available for review at the Superintendent’s Office, 1621 East 16th Street, Glencoe.
School District #2859
By: Anne Twiss, Board Clerk
These minutes are unofficial until approved by School Board action.
(Published in the March 15, 2017 edition of the McLeod County Chronicle.)