GSL School Board School Board Proceedings
Glencoe-Silver Lake School Board
School Board Proceedings
Glencoe-Silver Lake, Minnesota
January 9, 2017
The School Board of Independent School District #2859 met in regular session at 7:01 p.m. in the Lincoln Meeting Room. Present: Kuester, Alsleben, Lindeman, Christianson, and Twiss. VonBerge was absent. Also present: Superintendent Sonju; Business Manager Sander; Principals Butler and Sparby; Technology Director Jenson; Knowledge Bowl Advisors Tom Schoper and Wanda Collins; Knowledge Bowl team members Sarah Schmieg, Brandi Pikal, Aubrey Giesen, Andrew LaPlante, and Kira Mattson; Brea Wiblemo, High School Social Studies Teacher; Technology Staff Morris; and Administrative Assistant Peterson.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
1. Interim Chair Christianson administered the Oath of Office to Directors Alsleben and Kuester.
2. Twiss to nominate Christianson for School Board Chairperson. The candidate was elected by acclamation and the acting clerk was to so record in the minutes.
3. Kuester to nominate Alsleben for School Board Vice Chairperson. The candidate was elected by acclamation and the acting clerk was to so record in the minutes.
4. Kuester to nominate Twiss for School Board Clerk. The candidate was elected by acclamation and the acting clerk was to so record in the minutes.
5. Alsleben to nominate Kuester for School Board Treasurer. The candidate was elected by acclamation and the acting clerk was to so record in the minutes.
6. Announcements: The next regular School Board meeting will be on February 13th at 7:00 p.m. in the Lincoln Meeting Room.
7. Acknowledgements: Technology Director Jenson and the Technology Committee, and the National Honor Society.
8. Public Input: None.
9. Reports/presentations: Mr. Schoper introduced Aubrey Giesen, who has been appointed to the 2017 High School Page Program; Mr. Schoper and the Mock Trial Team; Technology Director Jenson; Business Manager Sander; Principals Butler and Sparby; and Superintendent Sonju.
10. Alsleben/Twiss to approve the agenda (5-0).
11. Lindeman/Twiss to approve the consent agenda: December bills; December 12, 2016 regular meeting minutes; Resignations: Tom Chap as 8th Grade Football Coach; Beth Jerabek as Cheerleading Coach; Tanya Reichow, 6.5-hour-a-day Paraprofessional in Special Ed at Helen Baker; Leaves: Ann Lamecker, English Teacher at Lincoln, for Maternity Leave from on or around March 31, 2017 through the end of the school year; Tricia Fenske, Paraprofessional in Special Ed at Helen Baker, for a three-week extension to her Maternity Leave request through January 17, 2017; Hiring: Roxanne Henderson as Long-Term Substitute Special Ed Teacher at Lakeside through January 2017; Community Ed Contract: Traci Schwarzrock as Community Ed Gymnastics Instructor during January and February 2017 (5-0).
12. Twiss/Lindeman to approve the request from Ms. Wiblemo for the 10- to 12-day trip abroad in June 2019 to Tanzania or to Madrid and Andalusia, depending on student interest (5-0).
13. Kuester/Alsleben to set the regular School Board meetings for the second Monday beginning at 7:00 p.m. and to meet in Lincoln Room 124, with a second meeting, if necessary, to be held on the fourth Monday at 7:00 p.m. in Lincoln Room 124 (5-0).
14. Lindeman/Twiss to keep the per diem rates for 2017 at the current rate: Attendance at regular and special formal meetings - $2,000 per year; per committee meeting - $35; per negotiations meeting - $50; additional pay after three hours for committee and negotiations meetings - $35 (5-0).
15. Alsleben/Kuester to adopt the committee assignments for 2017 as specified by the Board (5-0).
16. Kuester/Alsleben to authorize Michelle Sander, Business Manager, to make payment (prior to School Board approval) of claims that cannot be deferred until the next Board meeting without loss to the district of discount privileges and, further, authorize Michelle Sander to initiate and transact electronic transfers for the purpose of investing excess monies and for payment of bond principal and interest as provided by M.S. 1996, Section 123.35, Subd. 15 (5-0).
17. Twiss/Christianson to delegate the following statutory duties of the Clerk to the administrative staff: the keeping of the book of minutes of all School Board meetings, the preparation of reports that shall include the condition and value of school property, receipts and disbursements in detail and such other financial matters as may be called for by the Minnesota Department of Education, the length of the school term and the enrollment and attendance by grades, and the names and post office addresses of all directors and other officers, and such other items of information as may be called for by the Commissioner of Education (5-0).
18. Lindeman/Twiss to adopt the resolution directing the administration to make recommendations for reductions in programs and positions and reasons therefore for the 2017-2018 school year (5-0).
19. Twiss/Kuester to schedule Meet and Confer for Feb. 1, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. in the Superintendent’s Conference Room at Lincoln (5-0).
20. Lindeman/Twiss to approve the fundraising requests for the second half of the 2016-2017 school year as submitted (5-0).
21. Lindeman/Twiss to approve the addition of a 6.75-hour-a-day Paraprofessional at the High School due to student need (5-0).
22. Twiss/Christianson to approve the request to add hours in ECFE and ECSE: ECFE Secretary – increase hours from 24 to 27 hours per week; School Readiness Paraprofessional – increase hours from six to 12 hours per week – to support two students who are joining School Readiness (5-0).
23. Kuester/Lindeman to add an hour to Renee Vasko’s position as a Paraprofessional in Special Ed at Lakeside so she can work as a Bus Supervisor for a student. Her hours would change from seven to eight per day (5-0).
24. Lindeman/Kuester to approve the Memorandum of Understanding with Southwest Minnesota State University to participate in the education of their students in their nursing programs through July 31, 2019 (5-0).
25. Twiss/Alsleben to adopt policies: 435 Personnel Policy Providing for the Occasional Employment of Nonexempt Employees for the Supervision and Management of Extracurricular Functions; 509 Enrollment of Nonresident Students; 516 Student Medication; and 532 Use of Peace Officers and Crisis Teams to Remove Students with IEPs from School Grounds (5-0).
26. Lindeman/Twiss to accept donations from: Scott Equipment Company, Midwest Ind. Tool Grinding, Crow River Sno Pros, Plato Fire Department, Stevens Seminary Foundation, Anderson Insurance and Financial Services, Inc., and Brownton Lions’ Club (5-0).
27. Scheduled a school board work session for January 23, 2017 from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.
28. Twiss/Lindeman to adjourn at 9:50 p.m. (5-0).
Complete minutes and all documents relating to this meeting are on file and available for review at the Superintendent’s Office, 1621 East 16th Street, Glencoe.
School District #2859
By: Anne Twiss, Board Clerk
These minutes are unofficial until approved by School Board action.
(Published in The McLeod County Chronicle February 8, 2017)